Our projects allow students, scientists and other community members to get involved with our work.
- Grove ReLeaf
Grove ReLeaf: Help our scientists inventory and monitor tree canopy cover in Coconut Grove, Miami
- Volunteers at ICTBWe have multiple opportunities for volunteers at ICTB, including work with our living collections - planting new specimens, mapping and labeling, and maintaining our native hardwood hammock landscape; and working in our herbarium to mount, organize and database thousands of specimens of tropical plant species from around the world.
- ICTB Graduate Fellowships
We have several exciting opportunities for Ph.D. graduate research assistant positions in tropical plant biology with a collegial group based in Miami.
We are seeking graduate students in tropical plant diversity in the International Center for Tropical Botany at The Kampong and Florida International University. The ICTB is a new, collaborative effort between FIU and the National Tropical Botanical Gardens to develop programs in research, education and outreach in tropical plant biology. The ICTB has recently opened a world-class headquarters with offices, laboratories, and an herbarium, adjacent to The Kampong botanical gardens on Biscayne Bay in historic Coconut Grove (http://ntbg.org/gardens/kampong.php).
Successful candidates would be guaranteed at least three years (nine semesters) of graduate research assistantship funding and five years of total funding support.
Candidates will be expected to develop their own research programs within one of three key areas: Pacific plant diversity and conservation, in partnership with the Science and Conservation team at NTBG; urban ecology integrating citizen science, in partnership with the education staff at The Kampong; or Neotropical plant diversity, making use and expanding on the new ICTB herbarium and functional trait tissue collections.
Interested applicants should send a CV and a cover letter detailing the candidate’s research experience and interest relative to the key research themes, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will also need to apply to the FIU Graduate School by December 2023. The position start dates will be in August 2024.
- Undergraduate Research ExperiencesWe have multiple opportunities for undergraduate research projects at the ICTB, focusing on urban forest biodiversity and ecosystem services, or with our global biodiversity collections in the ICTB Herbarium. Contact ICTB Director for more information, at email@example.com.
- Sabbatical Stays at The KampongThe ICTB at The Kampong has opportunities for sabbatical researchers to join us in Miami for stays up to six months. We have limited housing available on our beautiful botanical garden property at The Kampong. Sabbatical scientists will also walk to office and lab space in our new research facilities at the ICTB. Please contact us for more information.
- Research Visits to the ICTBThe ICTB at The Kampong welcomes international students and scientists for short to long-term stays that make use of our living collections, herbarium accessions, and/or plant tissue collections in the ICTB Herbarium. We have limited housing available on our beautiful botanical garden property at The Kampong, as well as office and lab space in our new research facilities at the ICTB. Please contact us for more information.