Find out how you can take part in our research and educational activities through courses, public lectures, professional workshops and trainings, K-12 enrichment programs and more. We seek to include the community in our work and help everyone to understand the environment and work to protect it.
Academic departments in the College of Arts, Sciences & Education offer degrees and programs that connect to our research.
Biology, environmental science, science communications, marine science, forensic and pre-health studies
Organic and inorganic chemistry, environmental chemistry, forensics, biochemistry, radiochemistry and chemistry education
Earth science, atmospheric science, environmental studies, sustainability and natural resources sciences
For research opportunities with the institute, read on below for internships, fellowships and scholarships. You can also reach out to our team of scientists or find a research group that fits your interests.
For more information about related academic degrees, certificates and courses, browse academic departments:
Open to all university students:
- Coastal Ecosystems Research Experience for Undergraduates - 10-week paid fellowship on FIU campuses
- IRES Tropical Biodiversity Training Program - 3-week training program for graduate students, based in French Guiana
- IRES Madagascar Program - Graduate student research program in Madagascar focused on conservation
Open to FIU students only:
- Agroecology Internships - For FIU students: Apply to programs around the world
- Center for Aquatic Chemistry and Environment Fellowships - For graduate and undergraduate students working on environmental projects
- Conservation Internship at Rare Species Conservatory Foundation - Work with a variety of rare and endangered species
- FIU-Rookery Bay Research and Education Graduate Assistantship - Funding for graduate students conducting research at the Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
- Tropical Conservation Internship - For FIU students: Placements across Miami-Dade for undergraduate students interested in conservation
You can also browse CASE Internships & Jobs for related jobs in environmental disciplines.
Community & Volunteers
- Amazon Citizen Science Network - Help us gather information from citizens about the fish and rivers across the Amazon Basin
- Grove ReLeaf - Download an app and take pictures of trees in Coconut Grove to help us map the canopy
- Sea Level Solutions Center Citizen Science - Help us to monitor King Tide flooding and sea level rise in Miami-Dade
- Agroecology Continuing Education - Horticulture professional certificate and the International Workshop on Agroecology and Sustainable Agriculture
- Aquarius: Advanced Training - Diving-related courses including saturation diving, recompression chamber operation and shark handling
- Camera Trapping Workshop - Techniques for wildlife management and conservation
- Supply Chains Study - Support our study of tomato and strawberry production in Florida
Protecting our planet's natural resources is vital to our livelihood. With your support, we can continue our commitment to use advanced technology and find sustainable solutions to major environmental challenges. Learn what you can do to help.