The Coastal Everglades REU application window closes on January 31, 2020. Applications will be reviewed in early February. All applicants will be officially notified of their status (acceptance/rejection) by email in mid-March.
The Coastal Ecosystems Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Site program is a 10-week paid research fellowship located on the campuses of Florida International University in Miami, FL running from May 18, 2020 until July 24, 2020.
The Research Theme of the REU Site is the ecology of coastal ecosystems across gradients of human impact. Specifically, our research looks at coastal ecosystems ecology, environmental aquatic chemistry, and the connections among the Everglades wetlands, coastal mangrove forests, seagrass beds and shallow water coral reefs. Our goal is to detect the sources, transport and transformation of environmental stressors and the ecosystem responses under rapid changing climate and land-use. The hydrologic connectivity between the natural, agricultural, and urban landscapes results in a highly complex network of contaminant and pollutant sources that are transported throughout a heavily managed water landscape.
In the context of these connected, coastal ecosystems and their importance to human health and wellbeing, it is critical to understand the ecological, hydrological and biogeochemical processes that govern the fate of environmental stressors and their impacts on the coastal ecosystems.
The summer fellowship will include a stipend of $6500 for successful completion of the full 10-week program. The fellowship also includes full room and board and travel to/from the FIU campuses: the Modesto A. Maidique Campus in west Miami-Dade County, and the Biscayne Bay Campus in north Miami-Dade.
This hands-on and immersive research opportunity will support students in developing and conducting an independent research project in collaboration with a research team made up of their faculty and graduate students mentors. Each fall, research mentors from FIU's Institute of Environment provide summer research topics for incoming REU students to work on in the upcoming summer.
The REU program consists of 3 main elements:
- Research: Conduct an individual research project under the guidance of a faculty and graduate student mentor. Spend a day snorkeling to collect seagrass data or a day in the Everglades collecting fish population information.
- Field Experiences: Participate in field trips to a range of iconic coastal ecosystems in the South Florida region to get real-world, hands-on experiences with important coastal ecosystems. Spend a day in Loxahatchee to learn about native and invasive species or go out on one of our boats to learn about the importance of Biscayne Bay.
- Professional Development: Engage in professional development activities, including communicating science workshops, career panel discussions and seminars by regional experts. Participate in seminar discussions with experts or join scientists for in-depth research seminars.
We encourage applications from students who are enthusiastic about participating in a collaborative, hands-on learning environment. Significant past experience in ecological research is not required, although some projects may have specific requirements (email CoastalREU@fiu.edu for inquiries).
- Potential Coastal Ecosystems REU Fellows must be U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, or permanent residents of the United States
- Applicants must plan to be full-time students for at least two consecutive semesters after the summer program (e.g., Fall 2020 and Spring 2021).
- Applicants can be undergraduate students in any discipline/major related to the Institute of Environment’s research areas.
- Applicants should have completed at least two semesters of relevant coursework.
How to Apply
The application window closes January 31, 2020. Late/incomplete applications will not be accepted. Applications will be reviewed in early February. All applicants will be officially notified of their status (acceptance/rejection) by email in mid-March.
Applicants will be expected to submit the following items:
- Application form
- Unofficial copy of all relevant college transcripts
If you have any questions, please email CoastalREU@fiu.edu.
View last year's calendar below.